Weird News Yale Student Killed in Freak Lab Accident by Ray Bendici April 14, 2011 written by Ray Bendici 7 comments 0 FacebookTwitterEmail This is horrible. [April 14, 2011] A Yale senior was accidentally strangled when her hair got caught in a metal lathe while working in the student machine shop of the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory … Source: NBC 30 You may also like Brothers Arrested After Fight Over Can of Ravioli Decapitated Animals Found in Windham Ceremony Man Windsurfs on Coldest Day 7 comments Wojciehowicz April 15, 2011 - 12:49 am Not to dismiss this tragedy but how does a university have people in charge of dangerous equipment who are undoubtedly college grads, yet stupid enough to not enforce basic safety guidelines like keeping hair tied back and under your shirt? I have long hair and used to be a machinist. I know this rule very well. Lonny April 15, 2011 - 6:25 pm She wasn’t a college graduate, she was a senior. Besides a college degree does not mean that you will always follow safety rules. I doubt that she was the first person to ever operate this lathe without taking the necessary safety protocols, she was just the first to be so unlucky. Wojciehowicz April 15, 2011 - 11:08 pm The university runs the machining lab, and they ARE graduates. She was not unlucky, she was careless, and the people responsible for maintaining adherence evidently failed at their responsibility. OSHA is investigating right now and should sanction Yale for their lapse in safety assurance. Kate April 17, 2011 - 10:42 pm Actually she was a senior not a graduate…like the other person said. Wojciehowicz April 17, 2011 - 11:10 pm Exactly what part is missing people here? 1. The lab is a function of Yale University. 2. The responsibility for lab safety is that of Yale University. 3. The lab is run by Yale personnel. 4. They are graduates. So, aside from having to restate the obvious, exactly why do people think a mere “senior” should be excused for this mistake? Some junior high schools have machine shops. Someone in their 20s should be less capable than a teen exactly why? Loose clothing and long hair are extreme NO NO. It is the FIRST rule of personal interaction with machines, it is the FIRST to be verbally beaten into your head, and it is the most frequent warning given in machine shops. It is the most frequent warning given when working with lathes short of leaving a chuck key in the chuck or putting tools on the headstock (the force of a headstock turning will toss a chuck key with enough force to penetrate 1/2 inch sheetrock at 20 feet, and will do the same with a tool that falls onto it). Again, Yale University FAILED in their responsibility to run the shop properly and safely, and they are supposed to be educated and grown up folks who understand their duties. Franny April 18, 2011 - 11:51 pm They could of given the girl all the training in the world and she still made a mistake. These things happen when people become familiar and comfortable with things that could kill them. Look at rock climbing 87% of deaths occur from expierenced climbers, and most are not because of the difficulty of the climb but from mistakes that could of been avoided. Wojciehowicz April 19, 2011 - 12:42 am True, Franny. But, a school lab is not a production shop. I took rock climbing lessons in my teens and during climbs after training, we were drilled on safety still. In educational settings, safety is first and foremost. One must never assume otherwise. In machine school, my teachers were part timers, and worked full time in shops. They still followed safety when they worked on their own projects. Hair tied back, under the shirt, preferably under the t-shirt. Safety goggles on or safety glasses. Sleeves rolled up to above the elbow. Comments are closed.